Caledonia is located in southeastern Kent County in the township by the same name, approximately 30 miles south of Grand Rapids.. This area was first settled in 1838 by Asahel Kent, who moved there from Ohio. Like many other communities in western Michigan, the township was named after a city in New York in order to attract people there to move to Michigan. The area grew with the coming of the Grand River Valley Railroad until in 1870, a depot and post office were built – named “Caledonia Station.” In 1884, the name was changed to Caledonia, with incorporation into a village in 1888.
Once a farming community, Caledonia today has become significantly linked with Grand Rapids as a commuter city. At the same time, it has also retained its distinctiveness and economic growth. Situated in a hilly area on beautiful Emmons lake, this is an ideal place to live, with a delightful balance between country and city.
© 2018 MichRIC, LLC. All rights reserved.
Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed.