Lowell is located in Lowell Township and is situated on the eastern border of Kent County. This town is located at the mouth of the Flat River where it flows into the Grand. Lowell is often referred to as the Showboat City with it’s riverboat show held every summer. (The showboat can be seen to the north from Main Street at the dam). Lowell’s downtown area has been restored, complete with a town clock and Victorian style lamps along the sidewalk that accent the turn-of-the-century architecture seen in so many of its buildings. The dam in the center of town allows for a great view of the Flat River, with a walkway to the north. A huge grain elevator stands in the background to the south flying Old Glory. This is a great place for a walk or to spend your lunch hour watching the falls.
Lowell was first settled in the 1840’s by Daniel Marsac who built a trading post there and called it Dansville. In 1851 it was renamed Lowell, after the township, when the railroad went through. Lowell was named after a city by the same name in Massachusetts to attract people from that state to come to Michigan to settle here.
© 2017 MichRIC, LLC. All rights reserved.
Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed.